Thursday, March 16, 2017

Route 60

A week ago, knowing that the day will be the last of the warmer days for awhile, I took off alone East along U.S. 60 from Springfield to get out of the house. It was already in the 70's when I left late that morning. Not having anything in mind for places to stop, I pretty much just winged it the whole day. My first stop was 20 miles down the road in Seymour to get gas, and to take some photos of the Owen Theatre.



This stunning theatre building has caught my eye a lot the past few years, but could never make it there to photograph with good light. This day was my lucky day! 

I took off afterwards and continued Eastward stopping at each small town along 60 to see what I can photograph, or catches my eye. I eventually made it into Cabool, Missouri where there was a particular sign I wanted to see in person. A friend of mine from Tulsa passed thru the area a few weeks back and captured some photos of Tod's Motel sign that I knew nothing about before.


It was a stunning old neon sign. I must of been admiring and photographing the sign and motel lot for at least ten minutes. I certainly got the attention of the small town locals as they drove by wondering what that city boy was up to.


Once I got my fill, I left Cabool and made my way yet again East to Willow Springs. I stopped downtown to admire the murals, and make up my mind what I should do from here. I decided this was as far as I was going to go, and took off back West towards home on Highway 76. The further West I went down 76 from Willow Springs, the more rural it got. 76 runs thru a chunk of the Mark Twain National Forest in this area. As I was driving along, I realized that I was getting close to Topaz Mill, and decided on the mill as my next stop. Sadly I had no more bars on my phone, hints no internet to look up where specifically to go (I've only been to Topaz once and was maybe 10 years ago). Going by memory, I stopped in what turned out to be the right area and went to my old trusty paper map. I eventually realized where I pulled over at was only a few miles away from my next stop. With a smile on my face, I turned down this gravel road that was close by and proceeded East. Turns out this road was a one lane road with big rocks sticking out everywhere, and deep holes that was hard to avoid. And to add to that was a big drop off from the road on the left side if I decided to be careless. I eventually made it down to the bottom into the valley that contained the tiny community of Topaz. The only thing between me and Topaz was two creek beds to cross in my car. My car crossed them carefully, and made it just fine. 


By the time I had made it into the valley, the temperature was in the low 80's, and was just perfect!
The tiny community of Topaz, with a population of 4, only has the cherry red grist mill and general store now days. From what I've read of Topaz, this was once a bustling little town back in the day. 


I really wanted to sit on the porch of the old general store and just soak in the beautiful weather, and the total silence of the area the rest of the afternoon, but I needed to continue on my way towards home. Luckily, I didn't have to go back up the hill I took to get down to Topaz. This other road was so much better! Once I got back to Highway 76, I kept going West to my next and final stop. While in Topaz, I got into a mill fever and knew of another mill that was on my way back home. Rockbridge Mill. 


Rockbridge, Missouri today is pretty much a fishing resort with the mill of course, the general store - post office - restaurant, cabins, and the old bank building. Surprisingly, there wasn't any fisherman around when I made my way to the mill. With temps still in the low 80's, I was wearing shorts and sandals. I took advantage by wading across the creek water to the other side to get pictures I haven't gotten before, like the picture posted above. I spent about ten minutes in the cool water enjoying myself, but alas... I needed to get home. There was storms rolling in, and I wanted to beat them home. 
And I did...... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment