Friday, February 24, 2017

A Visit Home

Yesterday, I got off of work a little early, and went straight home to change into some shorts, make a sandwich, and head to the town I grew up in. With temps in the 80s, I just had to take advantage of the late spring like weather with this late afternoon road trip along Route 66. My first stop was the new mural at the Route 66 Park in Lebanon. It was just unveiled over the weekend. Sadly, I had to miss it due to work. The mural depicts 66 sites that Lebanon still has, but mostly those that are no longer around.

Overall, it gets my approval. There is going to be two more in the near future of the same size, as well as the replica of the Nelson Fountain.


A couple of weeks back, my wife and I took a drive up to the Lake of the Ozarks to hike and do whatever. On our way up when you take Highway 5 from Lebanon lies the tiny community of Dove.
The last several years, the general store has been overgrown with brush to the point of not being able to know whats there. So when we drove by a couple of weeks back, I just so happen to over at the corner of my eye and see the general store again. I was so excited as I was telling my wife what we just passed by. She didn't care.

So after stopping by to see my parents yesterday (They live a few miles South of Dove), I took a drive back to the store to see what the years of neglect has done to it. It didn't look good. But I was still happy to be able to see the general store again.


With the sun slowly going down, I went Eastward along 66 to the Gasconade Bridge near Hazelgreen to pay my usual respects, and to see how she's holding up.
Modot announced that they plan on building a new bridge along side of I-44, and will leave the old bridge, for now. I'm hoping funds will come about from somewhere soon. I would hate to see her go!


On my way back to Lebanon, I took a few sunset pics along Route 66.




No comments:

Post a Comment