Thursday, March 16, 2017

Clinton, Missouri and Highway 52

The day after going East on U.S. 60, I planned out a day of going North to see a couple of old service stations that have been on my bucket list for quite some time. Friday wasn't near as warm as the day before, but it was still tolerable for a late Winter's day. My wife so happen to have the day off as well, and wanted to desperately get a day away with me so I wasn't alone on this road trip. From Springfield, we took Highway 13 North to Bolivar. First on my list of must stops was Country Classics Antiques near Bolivar.

The building is split into two sections. One half with the antiques, and the other... well...


I was in LOVE with the other half of the building! Antique cars, gas pumps, signs, cans, maps, etc... I could live happily there for the remainder of my days. Just outside of Country Classics Antiques is a forest of old signs.



The signage out front is what caught my eye whenever I took road trips along 13. I just never had the opportunity to stop until last Friday. For an overall experience, I give the place a 5 out of 5. We definitely plan on coming back soon!

Across the highway from the antique store was this huge field of purple. We couldn't pass up taking a few pictures.


I'm sure with our recent cold snap that the field is no longer a sea of beautiful purple.
From Bolivar, we continued North to Clinton, Missouri.
Clinton is one of those towns that I've never stopped in before. I would often pass by via 13 heading to Kansas City and not give the town much thought.
Clinton's downtown square is delightful with restaurants, and stores completely filling the square. One of the things that caught my eye was the murals and signage of old advertisements all over the place.






Also, further down the block from the Spearmint advertising was this old sign hidden in a narrow alley.


We walked around the downtown area of Clinton for awhile taking pictures of everything within site, then realized how hungry we both were. We ended up leaving downtown and finding a small sit down restaurant off Highway 32 called Smith's Restaurant. It was delicious and reasonably priced.


My final stop in Clinton was the restored D-X station, now museum. It was closed when we stopped by, but it didn't make me any less disappointed. What you will get to know about me is that I love old service stations. Can't get enough of em. This one was no exception.


Just down the street was some awesome neon signage.


I would love to see this sign in action at night!
Realizing that the day is starting to slip away, we left Clinton via Highway 52 and headed East. Now that I've driven a piece of it, 52 in its entirety is now on my bucket list! A few miles outside of Clinton was this old service station that was barely hanging on.


The first town down 52 from Clinton is Calhoun, Jug Town USA.


This beautiful structure, well it is to me, caught my eye instantly. The Katy Trail goes thru Calhoun as well as pass this structure posted above. Highway 52 runs along side the Katy Trail a ways and got to see some of the sites I would hit if I ever decide to ride this section of the K trail. It has been added to my bucket list.
We proceeded down 52 to my final stop of the afternoon in Stover, Missouri.


This restored station was the sole reason for my trip North that day. Sitting in downtown Stover, it certainly stands out. I must of spent a good 15 minutes taking pictures and soaking in what was in front of me.
I had planned on taking 52 East to Highway 5, then 5 South back to I-44, then home, but daylight was starting to fade, and we really just wanted to get back home. So instead, we took 52 back to Cole Camp, then to U.S. 65, which we took home. Much quicker drive that way....

No comments:

Post a Comment