Monday, April 10, 2017

Route 66 - Springfield, Missouri to Webb City, Missouri

After work Saturday afternoon, my wife and I took off to Webb City, Missouri. I've been wanting to go to the Route 66 Cruise Night since they came out with the date of the event. Years ago, my friend, wife and I just so happen to be going thru Webb City on our way to Joplin when they had the event going on, and we ended up changing our plans a bit and stuck around. They had their car show downtown with fair rides, music, lots of food. It was a very organized and fun event.
So while on our way Saturday, we stopped in Spencer to take a few pictures. Spencer, Missouri has always had a piece of my heart from the first time I visited the ghost town. In fact, we got married there last year!
As we were getting back into our car, a old Ford truck pulled into the station. I didn't have to say anything to my wife as she told me to go ahead. With a smile on my face, I walked on over to the truck and introduced myself. The owners name was Cal, and he was just passing thru from Mount Vernon with his brother on their way back to Springfield. We got to talking about Spencer for awhile and how we were both a member of the same Facebook page "Route 66 Pictures". After snapping a few pictures of his truck, we headed West once more.


Once in Webb City, we noticed how they had the car show set up right away with them lined up on both sides along Route 66 - Broadway Street. I loved it!


The buildings made for great backgrounds!



After walking around for an hour or so, we went back to Carterville and had some ice cream at Supertam on 66. The place is a Superman Museum that also serves ice cream! We've been there many times over the years and highly recommend it.

Before making it back to Springfield, we stopped for a few minutes at the Gay Parita Sinclair Service Station in Paris Springs to take a few pics of the neon.


Even though I didn't get home until 4 pm due to work, we did a lot in 5 hours that evening and had a blast. I really enjoy driving 66 West from Springfield. It seems to be my favorite road trip to get away and relax. If you haven't driven any of Route 66, think about it and do it! Even if it's just a small stretch for an afternoon. No matter which section you drive in any of the 8 states, there's a lot to see, and a great opportunity to meet very nice people who are doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment